Photo via Facebook
In case you haven’t read Roger’s latest Facebook update:
Now that’s a Facebook update! So much better than “fell asleep watching Fed Cup rerun” or whatever it is that I might type on a given day.
Inspired, I fiddled with that real custom stamp maker thing (click here) and made some of my own tennis-themed stamps. Note that I have no idea if the U.S.P.S. would let me get away with them – if so, I have a Roger Federer Wimbledon Jacket series in my future.
Now on to the charitable part of Roger’s update. Roger mentions that he’s dropping by Ethiopia to check out one of his Foundation’s projects there. A gander on his Foundation’s website shows that he supports an Ethiopian NGO called Education for Development Association, or EFDA, and its Primary Schools Quality Improvement Project in the Sululta area of the country. Here are the details of Roger’s involvement via rogerfedererfoundation.org:
An annual subsidy of CHF 100’000 (about $ 93,3oo) by the RFF finances a project of the EFDA since 2007 and for the coming years. This financial aid will help improve the quality of education for 739 children in the Kore Roba and now also the Moya Gajo Primary Schools. In the two schools, situated 38km north of Addis Ababa, the following measures for standard 1 to 4 pupils will be taken:
* 388 children are already able to go to school every day in the renovated Kore Roba primary school
* 135 girls receive extra tuition
* 27 female teachers lead the class by means of new, interactive forms of tuition
* Importance and benefits of physical activity are discussed among representatives of the community – focusing on the increase of girls participating in sports programs
* Children develop their talents and capability of expression in special kids-clubs (e.g. environment, health, chicken farming, etc)
* 15 elder children can complete an orientation period at a recently setup potter’s workshop.
* Installation of four new toilets, two for girls and two for boys
As I said, that’s one heck of a Facebook update. Now I’m off to watch USA vs. France on my TIVO. Stay tuned. . .