The AP is reporting that Rafael Nadal will be out of competition for the next four weeks after injuring his right knee during his quarterfinal match vs. Andy Murray at this week’s Australian Open.
After returning to Spain to have his knee assessed, MRI and ultrasound tests revealed that the injury is not a recurrence of the knee tendinitis that caused him to miss Wimbledon last year but “a small tear” in the hamstring at the back of his knee. His doctor, Angel Ruiz-Cotorro, says that it will be treated with physiotherapy and anti-inflammatory treatment – and rest.
Nadal is withdrawing from the ATP tournament in Rotterdam, which starts on February 8. He lost in the Rotterdam final to Murray last year, clearly hampered by his ailing knees.
“After two weeks and depending on the results of the different tests and controls, he will steadily resume his sporting activity with a total recovery time to resume competition in fours weeks,” Ruiz-Cotorro was quoted as saying.
Nadal said he was happy the latest injury setback was not lingering tendinitis.
“I feel good and I am only thinking now of recovering well,” the 23-year-old Spaniard said. “My main goal right now is to get ready again and fit to play the upcoming events once I am able to compete.
“It is a big disappointment for me not to be able to play at … Rotterdam this year.”
Spanish paper El Pais, reports that Nadal’s primary objective is to be ready to defend his title at the Indian Wells Masters event which starts on March 11. It’s not clear yet if Rafa will play for the Spainish Davis Cup team in its first round tie vs. Switzerland, which is scheduled for March 5 – 7.
After the Australian Open, Rafael Nadal will drop from No. 2 to No. 4 in the world rankings. (And Roger will remain No. 1 regardless of the outcome of the final – click here for more on the rankings.)
Rafa also posted an encouraging video for fans on his Facebook page.