Have we fully absorbed the news that Mirka and Roger Federer had twin girls on Thursday evening?
How exciting! How fun! How friggin’ unbelievable!
My mind’s reeling with random thoughts, questions and observations about the infant Federer twins and their illustrious parents. Allow me to share.
1. Roger mentioned being overwhelmed by all the choices in the baby name books. Here’s the by-the-book lowdown on the names he and Mirka picked for the twins:
Myla Rose = “Merciful Rose”
Charlene Riva = “Free Maiden” or maybe “Free River”
These are the English translations. Myla could also be short for the Slavic name Ludmyla, which means something like “dear people.” Riva comes from Hebrew and is the short form of Rebecca unless, given Roger’s fluency in French, it comes from the French/Latin for River.
And one baby name site had this to say about Riva: “Baby names that sound like Riva are Rivah and Rafa.” Wha???
Personally, the names remind me of fairy tale heroines, like Rose White and Rose Red, anyone?
2. Are the twins identical a la the Bryan Brothers? Will they be Switzerland’s answer to the Williams Sisters? (*Smacking myself for already putting pressure on the future tennis phenoms!* Stop it! *Smack!* *Smack!!* This is going to be hard. . .)
3. Yes, Roger Federer accomplishes more in a year than most of us ever will in a lifetime. . .
January: Australian Open finalist
March: Announces that he and Mirka are expecting!
April: Marries Mirka.
June: Wins the French Open, completes the career slam, ties Sampras’s record
July: Wins his sixth Wimbledon, breaks Sampras’s record, is anointed G.O.A.T. by virtually everyone
End o’ July: Becomes the father of two baby girls!!!
. . .and the year isn’t over yet!
4. Swiss timing? There are still a couple weeks remaining before the Rogers Cup Masters event begins on August 10. Will Roger Federer show up? Will the Federer girls be in tow? (Most baby sites recommend that infants be at least 2 weeks old before air travel.) I’d say “NO WAY!” except that. . .
5. . . .Mirka is an iron woman. She sat through a four-hour-long Wimbledon final (not to mention the rest of the two week-long tournament) just a few short weeks ago – while eight months pregnant with TWINS. I wouldn’t be surprised if a two week maternity leave is just fine with her.
We know Mirka always stands by her man, but what about Roger’s paternity leave?