The Middle Sunday is Wimbledon’s traditional day off – a day for tennis players and tournament staff to regroup and tennis fans to contemplate. Before we start Manic Monday and the business end of the tournament, let’s take a look at the highs and lows of Wimbledon Week One.
Wimbledon Week One Highs:
1. Oh come on, you know me. Roger Federer is my natural high:
2. Robert Kendrick’s flip flopping four setter against Andy Murray. If we ever meet, Robbie, the Coronas are on me:
3. Seventeen-year-old American Melanie Oudin (# 134) beating Jelena Jankovic (#6) in the third round. (Sorry, my “American” is showing!)
4. The five-setter between Tommy Haas and Marin Cilic. How did Tommy avoid:
- being struck by lightening or some other freakish occurrence
- getting food poisoning on Friday night?
Maybe the Tennis Gods have tortured him enough.
5. Wimbledon fans. They get it right:
Baby Fed watch is in full alert. Was anyone else wondering if they’d scheduled a Caesarean for the Middle Sunday?
Wimbledon Week One Lows:
Get a grip, people – it’s just a frigging outfit.