Didn’t we all see this coming? I know I’m still recovering from a gut-twisting Wimbledon hangover, so it’s really no surprise to me that Roger is, too. But all credit to Gilles Simon, last week’s Indy champ, who beat Federer in Toronto today in three tough sets – these French guys just keep wowing us, don’t they?
But honestly, who really cares about Gilles right now? The big question on my mind and the minds of Fedophiles everywhere is: What the hell’s going on with Roger?
1. Was Fed just caught “cold” against a hot player as he explained in his post-match presser?
2. Did losing his Federer Suite at the Hilton mess up his mojo? (Damn you Aishwarya and Abhishek!)
3. Has the slump gone terminal? (I got chills typing this!)
4. Is he smartly letting the young guns wear themselves out before the Olympics and the U.S. Open (great idea, I say!!!)
5. Or, is Roger so mentally exhausted and burnt out that he can barely think straight, let alone hit a forehand?
I suspect it’s mostly option No. 5, with a little of Nos. 2 and 4 thrown in. Regardless of the reason, I think our man needs to admit to himself that holding onto the year end No. 1 ranking is not a realistic goal anymore, and that he should rest, relax and recharge for next season. Obviously he should still play to win in Beijing and NYC, but he needs to do so with less pressure on himself. Easier said than done, of course.
Tell me what you think, and how you’re coping with your own distress! I’m going to watch Project Runway.
(Image: AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Frank Gunn)