Okay, so I feel warmed up and ready to go. Maybe it was coming back from a long trip and missing out on being there the first weekend, but Indian Wells just didn’t do it for me this year. But Miami feels good so far – there’s some context now and some interesting story lines: Djoky going out early, Rafa and Roger looking for that first trophy of the year, and the big guns ready to blast away in the women’s draw (minus Maria, unfortunately.)
Here’s what I’m liking so far:
1. Having Justine, Serena and Venus back in the mix.
2. The possibility of a Tsonga – Roddick 4th round. Juicy!
3. Juan Monaco! It will be fun to see him compete with the South American expat crowd cheering him on. I just love the guy – exciting (can beat almost anyone), cute (in that southern hemisphere, stringy haired kind of way) and passionate (he can yowl and fist pump with the best of them.) Oh, and his name, of course, which is just so 60’s-spy-thriller- villain-meets-Harlequin-Romance-lover-boy.
4. FSN’s (slightly) improved coverage. They ditched Gimelstob’s dead weight partner and brought in Ted Robinson, who is so much better in comparison – at least he can pronounce the players’ names and knows who Guillermo Coria is. It’s also nice to see that the Tennis Channel is in on the game. I was starting to think it should be renamed the Outback Champions Series Channel.
5. When you Google the phrase “Tsonga in Miami” it asks “Did you mean: Thong in Miami” He he!
On a side note, does anyone know what’s up with Marcos Baghdatis? Why did he withdraw? Does anyone have a clue about these “personal reasons”? Will he ever be a real threat again? Maybe instead of obsessing over Fed’s losses, a reporter should try to figure this one out.