1. Roger loses to Andy Murray, furthering the “in decline” chatter. (Read the linked article by the way, because it’s pretty interesting stuff .) Fed claims to have still been recovering from mono – which he got the week before the Australian Open . Wait, so it wasn’t bad chicken after all? Or maybe it was something else????? (see #5, below)
2. There was also that exo against Sampras at Madison Square Garden, which went to a third set tiebreak. I don’t care if Fed had mono, food poisoning and a hernia (or see # 5, below), he still deserves an Oscar for making that match competitive for the crowd.
3. Nole goes on Leno and then youtube takes down the snippet before I can watch it. But I found something better! Check out this oh-so-cute snippet of Safin on Letterman (it’s in two parts.) Oh, Marat, how the cruel world has hardened you in just 8 short years! (or is it sun damage?)
4. Andy Roddick breaks up with Jimmy (I guess we saw that one coming, huh?)
5. Andy Roddick decides not to play the Olympics because he thinks playing the Legg Mason event in Washington D.C. that same week will be better preparation for the U.S. Open. But Andy, won’t all the good players, and all the nerve-steeling pressure and potential for momentum-building be in Beijing that week? And shouldn’t you be thrilled just to have the opportunity to be in the Olympic Games, instead of forming dubious career strategies? I mean, can you imagine having the luxury to “snub” the Olympics? Think of all of the immensely talented athletes out there (skaters, gymnasts, swimmers, etc.) who train all their lives and still don’t qualify! The only thing I can think of is that Andy’s counting on Djokovic, Roger, and Nadal killing themselves for the gold medal, thereby easing Andy’s road to the ’08 U.S. Open title. I got two words for you, Andy: Philipp Kohlschreiber.
6. Fox Sports Network buys the broadcasting rights to the four best consecutive weeks of the tennis season and decides not to broadcast any of it (oh, maybe an hour here and there, when it doesn’t have any “paid programming” on the schedule.) Tennis Channel continues to be a complete waste of money.
and, what the f@c* –
I think tennis.com removed any mention from the “ticker” part of its website, and I don’t subscribe to dailytennis.com, where the rumor originated, but I’ve gleaned from the message boards that the scoop is that the Nike people have been told that Mirka’s expecting. I’m leaning towards this being true, as it describes her rare no-shows in Roger’s box recently (reportedly at Indian Wells) and perhaps Roger’s poor performances these past months. Was it really mono, Roger, or sympathy morning sickness? Of course, I’m a cynical bitch and can’t help wondering if this was a true accident or a way for Mirka to speed up the trip down the aisle. Ouch, I feel mean just typing that. On the other hand, the timing points to it being well-planned, indeed. If she’s a couple months along right now, her delivery date would fall after the U.S. Open. I’d argue that they could’ve waited until next year, when the Olympics weren’t on the schedule, but neither of them asked me, did they? I have been hard to reach, lately. . .