What is this, the Season 2 finale of 24? The Bercy final aside – Nalbandian needed just half a set to suck the suspense out of that match – the past week has taken some seriously suspenseful plot twists. I’m not sure if I can bare to keep watching or if I should cover my eyes:
1. Is there romance in the air (or at least a good sex scene?) David Nalbandian’s relaxed pre-match smiles and fervent post-match thank you to his girlfriend today signal that The Sour One is seriously smitten. His return to world-class form could be the result of his deeply rooted biological need to preen in front of his mate. But whether he’s courting Lucy or Lucifer, the big question remains: Is it forever, David, or is it just a fling?
2. David’s star-worthy performance has miraculously won him the role of understudy in Shanghai. Who knows if he’ll get onstage, but even his presence in the wings could give one of the other guys a serious tummy ache. (Rafa may still be recovering from the bagel Nalby stuffed down his gullet today.)
3. And what about my leading man? Can Roger find his A-game after a couple shaky-looking losses to Nalbandian this month? Rafa, Djokovic and the rest of the field have to be feeling hopeful after watching those matches.
4. Will Djokovic reprise the role of “No. 1 Contender” again after spending the past couple weeks knocking around on the Young Punk Circuit?
5. Is Kolya getting written off the show? It’s not looking good – Peter Bodo thinks Davydenko is doing a mean Guillermo Coria impersonation right now. Scary stuff, and possibly Nalbandian’s best chance into the Masters Cup.
6. Speaking of Russians and Cups, let’s not forget the upcoming blockbuster in Portland. And with his two leads on the road to either ruin or rehab, can Shamil rely on his supporting players? Team U.S.A. must be liking its chances.
7. Oh, and aren’t the women playing some big tournament in Madrid this week? I think the Black Widow’s recent drama is stealing the show.